Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Exempt, Full-Time
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com noting Director of Annual Giving in the subject line.
Lead the planning, implementation and continuation of programs which increase annual giving dollars and participation from alumnae, parents and other individual friends of Alpha Phi Foundation.
- The position reports to the Executive Director and serves as a member of the senior management team.
- Within Alpha Phi Foundation, the Director has primary working relationships with the Executive Director, senior management team, Foundation and Fraternity staff and constituents.
- Outside the Foundation, the Director interacts with vendors.
Annual Giving Management
- Provide day-to-day management and oversight for Alpha Phi Foundation annual giving.
- Lead the development of strategies that result in the achievement of budget and alumnae participation goals.
- Increase number of donors and donor giving less than $1,000 in contributions.
- Collaborate with Major Gift Officers in development of donors.
- Work in partnership with the Executive Director to develop strategies and tactics to effectively solicit all segments of the Foundation's constituency.
- Facilitate planning to implement strategies and tactics for solicitation of Alpha Phi Foundation's constituency. Prepare and monitor the master plan for the year.
- Provide support for and serve as a resource to the Alpha Phi Executive Director and Foundation Board.
- Provide timely reports and updates to the Executive Director on annual fund results and trends for submission to the Foundation Board.
- In consultation with the Executive Director and Major Gift Officers, develop annual dollar and participation goals.
- Collaborate in the establishment and achievement of department and division strategic plans, integrating the annual giving program with the entire development effort.
- Work with communications staff to strategically include annual fund messages, stories, updates and results in direct mail pieces and overall Foundation communications.
- Supervise the execution and promotion of all giving societies.
- Identify, recruit, train and supervise volunteers
Planning and Budgeting
- Responsible for the achievement of annual fund goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the Executive Director.
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for fundraising and mini-campaign activities; monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance. Recommend short- and long-term Alpha Phi Foundation goals and objectives to the Executive Director.
- Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of annual giving.
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of annual giving and fundraising (and the specific business of Alpha Phi Foundation) and use this information to help the Foundation operate with initiative and innovation.
Alpha Phi Foundation Strategy
- Work with Foundation staff and volunteers to develop and maintain a strategic perspective -based on constituent needs and satisfaction - of Alpha Phi Foundation's direction, programs and services, and decision-making; and, ensure the overall health and vitality of the Foundation.
- Help ensure that Alpha Phi Foundation's philosophy, mission and vision are pertinent and practiced throughout the Foundation.
- Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from Alpha Phi Foundation's key constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services and the Foundation's relevance.
- Help formulate and administer policies to ensure the integrity of Alpha Phi Foundation.
- Act as an internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to institutional priorities.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel, both paid and volunteer.
- Manage a team that includes stewardship, development, chapter giving and technology.
- Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, develop, promote and guide qualified personnel, both paid and volunteer.
- Ensure effective management within the function of annual giving, with provision for succession.
- Design, support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout the Foundation.
- Effectively enable volunteers and staff so they can take action on behalf of the Foundation by:
- Transmitting the Foundation's values, vision and direction.
- Engaging people in the meaning of the Foundation.
- Respecting and using the skills, expertise, experience and insights of people.
- Providing direction and resources, removing barriers and helping develop people's skills.
- Articulating expectations and clarifying roles and relationships.
- Communicating which includes helping people transform information into knowledge and learning.
- Encouraging people to question Alpha Phi Foundation general assumptions and ask strategic questions.
- Ensuring quality decision-making.
- Anticipating conflicts and facilitating resolution.
- Engaging people in process as well as tasks.
- Encouraging people use their power, practice their authority, and accept their responsibility.
- Modeling behavior and coaching people to success.
- Attend Foundation staff meetings (weekly)
- One-on-one meetings with Executive Director
- General office work is included, as it is for all Foundation staff, such as:
- Filing and correspondence
- Answering and directing phone calls as appropriate
- Responding to emails within 24 hours
Additional responsibilities may be assigned.
Expected to be proficient with Microsoft Suite programs, Adobe Photoshop, The Raiser's Edge and Luminate Online.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Minimum five to seven years of successful experience in personal solicitation fundraising or a combination of relevant experience and education.
- Practical knowledge of annual giving operations.
- Experience in developing effective cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Experience in the management and supervision of professional staff.
- Strong knowledge of and proficiency in Raiser's Edge and Luminate Online.
- Alpha Phi membership preferred.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
- Travel as needed.