Reports to: Director of Annual Giving
Status: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Under the supervision of the Director of Annual Giving, the Prospect Research Associate will provide administrative support to the development staff using the Prospect Management system. This team member is responsible for researching, collecting and compiling background materials and research reports on friends and potential contributors to Alpha Phi Foundation. The associate will ensure that accurate information is maintained concerning relationships with potential prospects.
The Prospect Research Associate also performs related duties including proactive identification of major gift, endowment and planned giving prospects, and assists with data entry and information management for donors and prospects. As the primary biographic records processor, the Prospect Research Associate will be responsible for managing and maintaining all biographic information on the donors and prospects of the foundation.
- Reports to the Director of Annual Giving.
- Within Alpha Phi Foundation, the Associate has primary working relationships with the Director of Annual Giving and development staff.
- Outside the Foundation, the position coordinates, primarily, with market research vendors.
- Use both standard and novel prospect research techniques and tools to identify new prospects and complete donor background requests, including periodical and electronic screening and/or information provided by the prospect or his/her organization.
- Regularly collaborate with development staff to develop prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and overall fundraising strategies.
- Create profile reports tailored to needs of individual development programs.
- Maintain policies and procedures for the prospect research program.
- Review local and national news and business publications, keeping abreast of prospect information and local and regional business developments and economic trends. Send articles to development staff as appropriate.
- Maintain and develop professional relationships with local prospect researchers, as well as national and local associations.
- Utilize central development database (Raiser's Edge) to track/store profile data.
- Maintain updated database for all users.
- Safeguard the confidentiality of donor information at all times.
- Adhere to ethical and confidentiality guidelines of the Foundation.
- Maintain the professional and ethical standards set forth for the field by the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA).
- Provide administrative support and back-up for gift processing.
- Perform other responsibilities as required.
- Attend Foundation staff meetings (weekly)
- General office work is included, as it is for all Foundation staff, such as:
o Filing and correspondence
o Answering and directing phone calls as appropriate
o Responding to emails within 24 hours
Expected to be proficient with Microsoft Suite programs. Experience with The Raiser's Edge and Luminate Online preferred.
- Associates Degree required.
- Experience working in non-profit sector preferred.
- Experience with Raiser's Edge or other CRM preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and an aptitude for logical thinking.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
- Superior project management and organizational skills preferred
- Commitment to excellent record-keeping.
- Goal-oriented work ethic.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative to meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, and work in and/or lead teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical skills and technical proficiency in segmentation strategies and reporting and MS Office.
- Must be capable of working with sensitive information with complete confidentiality.
- Personal and professional values consistent with the Alpha Phi organization.